Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

When Peace Returns To Hyrule: An Ocarina of Time Review

"The flow of time is always cruel.  Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it.  A thing that does not change with time, is a memory of younger days."


What game could scare me so much, yet have me longing for love?  What game made me want to visit areas just to hear the music?  What game made me realize that there is a bigger world outside of my little town?   Even as a kid, I knew Ocarina of Time was an amazing game.  Fast-forward - without the Master Sword - eleven (twelve?) years into the future, to a me who is losing the 'drive' for gaming, has found and lost love, listens to way different, more, and better music, and lives in Sin City.  This (Adult) me is trying to find his place in the world, taking many different paths, one being a 'removal of the useless.'  On this path, Adult-me came across an old gem that nearly every video gamer has beat and praises.  Kid-me never beat this game.


The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time seemed to be an obvious choice as a start to my quest, being one of the most praised games of all time as well as one of those game I never really got to finish - going into this game, I had only beaten the first three dungeons by myself, leaving the game untouched, and my brother picking it up and beating it.  I planned on writing a review of it from day one, so I took a notebook out of my drawer, ripped out all of the used pieces, and officially dedicated this to Oot (and now all other video game reviews).  It was time to play.

I removed the game from my stack of N64 games, blew the cartridge from habit, and put it in the system.  Then I selected my best controller, plugged it in, and turned on the game.  I was taken to nostalgia town right away... 


I quickly chose my name (Alain), and proceeded to take in the menu music before I moved on.  [The file select/fairy music is one of my favorite Zelda pieces but nothing compares to Labyrinth.]

I get woken up by the fairy, Navi, telling me that the Great Deku Tree needs to see me. So I climb down the ladder and see that Link had flights of fantasty consisting of battles with monsters, but little does he know that this is what his life would become, very soon; there is no turning back - the journey of the Hero of Time has begun.


From first hearing the Kokiri Forest music to the end of the credits, with young Zelda and young Link staring at each other, I was hooked on this game.  It consumed a lot of my thoughts, and eventually made me change my main character in Melee to Sheik. 

The biggest thing I noticed when first playing this was its cinematic focus.  From entering a new area to opening a chest to dialogue and story telling, this game is all very cinematic, which creates stronger emotion and emphasizes importance of the story well, especially the conversations with Saria and Zelda/Sheik.  Sadly, some of the cinematics fall short either because of the technical capabilities at the time or bad placement (see: opening an 'important' chest).

Along with cinematics, and definitely more important and better done, atmosphere and ambience are very prominent.  Architecture, geography, music, miscelaneous sounds, and characters all add up together to create one of the best 'in game' experiences ever - one of the highlights being the Forest Temple.

Scurry.... 

However, none of the theatricality or atmosphere would be important without the story - which is very good.  But I'm not going to bore you with basic story elements and chronological happenings within the story.  I'm just going to mention what I felt to be most interesting.


Link is a Hylian, born of a mother who fled from the Hyrulean Civil War to the Kokiri Forest, leaving him in the care of the Great Deku Tree.  He has no fairy, has nightwares of a girl being chased by an evil man on horse, and who's only friend is Saria.

Saria cares for Link very much, which is shown in the scene when Link is leaving the Kokiri Forest for the first time - "...we'll be friend forever... won't we?"  Eventually, you find out, through Mido, that Saria "really.... liked..... [you]" but destiny gears are always turning and they can never "live in the same world."

"Saria will always be.... your friend..."

As the story progresses, you get more connected with Zelda via her alias Sheik.  At the last part of the game, gasps coming from Zelda when you get wounded show that she cares for you - well, at least your well-being - as does her choice to send you back to your childhood to live out what you missed (this then spawns the split-timeline in the Legend of Zelda universe).   But the relationship between Zelda and Link could never work, for they are bound by destiny as well.  Like Zelda says, "When peace returns to Hyrule, it will be time for us to say good-bye."

Once you get sent back to your 'original' time, removing your hands from the Master Sword for the last time, you look up to see Navi - not saying a word - leaving through the window of the Temple of Time.

At the end of the credits you see the scene where Link and Zelda first meet, but it pauses when they're still staring at each other: Zelda doesn't remember him.





Overall, this game is very well done - the only flaws that are prominent are due to the technical capabilites of the time/system.  I felt connected to this world, and wanted to continue to play this game forever, even though most of the bosses were easy and bore me.  I wouldn't say this is the best game of all time, but it is definitely one of the most influential games of all-time - its inspiration still echoes through games today.  In the end, what I found to be most intriguing was the pure solitary of Link at the end of the game.  

This is a must play for any video gamer.  I give it a solid 9 out of 10.




"Time passes, people move...  Like a river's flow, it never ends..."


Time, it seems, is very cruel - especially to the Hero of Time.



Temples/Dungeons  -  Forest >= Spirit > Water > Shadow > Ganon's Castle > Fire > Dodongo > Well > Deku Tree > Jabu Jabu > Ice Cavern
Bosses  -  Twinrova > Phantom Ganon > Ganondorf > Bongo Bongo > Barinade > Ganon > Gohma > King Dodongo > Volvagia > Morpha

As for if I'm ever going to play this game again:  Most likely not, unless I get a hold of a Master Quest copy in like ten years. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked your review, and I can see how you'd like certain parts of the game and why they would mean the world to you.

    Keep writing. You'll improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said my friend. I specifically like how you say the game was bound by its time for technology, very true.

    Truly the time and dedication put into this game, for this time, is amazing.

    Love to hear it Cameron, keep it up! Good Stuff!

    ReplyDelete